Plan of Action: Focus on portions and not eating until too full, especially at night. Eat until 80% full. Also, make sure when you go out to order a house salad or cup of soup so you are not hungry when you leave. You can also order a side of steamed veggies with your entrée to make sure you have enough food. Just tell the waitress, “Steamed, no butter or oil.” And of course finish that statement with a huge smile!
How much to eat:
- Proteins, 4 oz (size of a deck of cards or a checkbook)
- Nuts, ¼ cup (23 almonds, 1 of the snack bags, or the size of a golf ball)
- Beans, ½ cup (size of a light bulb)
- Hummus, 2 tablespoons (size of a golf ball)
- Almond or nut butters, 1 tablespoon (1/2 of a golf ball)
- Apple, pear, oranges, 1/2 cup (size of a golf ball)
- Berries, 1 cup (size of a baseball)
- Olives, 1 tablespoon (5 whole)
- Avocado, ¼ of a whole
- Soup/chili, 1 cup (size of baseball).
- Steamed and raw vegetables are a free food, so eat as much as you want!
Portion Control Tips:
1. Measure accurately. For foods and beverages, use gadgets like a measuring cup, tablespoon, teaspoon, or food scale.
2. Learn how to estimate serving sizes (See above). For example, 4 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry is about the size of a deck of cards. Other easy measurements to eyeball include:
- ½ cup is the size of an ice cream scoop